Saturday, July 14, 2007

Location! Location! Location!


Stitched a couple pictures together so you could see how Bend nestles up against the eastern side of the Cascade Mountains. It's elevation is about 4000 ft and, being in a rain shadow, the annual rainfall is about 10 in. Technically, this side of Oregon is a high altitude desert.... we just call it "high desert" here. There's the High Desert Museum, High Desert Gallery, High Desert Water Hauling ... you get the picture. Bend extends several miles off to the right of the picture. These pictures were taken from the top of Pilot Butte, a favourite scenic lookout for visitors and locals alike. Except for those who get a bit queasy going around in circles up hill!

That's Mt Bachelor on the left, followed by Broken Top and the Three Sisters as you pan right. All volcanoes. They say they are extinct.... but Mt St Helens is only a 100 or so miles north, and it's still rumbling since its big eruption in 1980.

Sometimes we humans think on such a small scale.

The Cascades stretch from Washington State to the north, to California to the South, producing extensive walking, fishing, biking and other outdoor activity opportunities. And did I mention the trees? Bend was originally a lumber town, and the timber industry still is very important. Just has to be done differently. Forests of Ponderosa Pine, Douglas Fir, Lodgepole Pine, Hemlock and other evergreen species are still found here. Development has taken its toll, though.

There's still plenty of work. Unemployment is about 3%. The last two years Mt Bachelor Ski Area has had to hire students from South America to meet their winter demands. New houses are springing up like mushrooms on a cow pat after a summer rain, and it's been labeled as one of the most desirable US cities to live in.... Don’t know if that's good or bad. Probably both, though the deer might disagree.
"The times they are a changin'".
Today is my 60th birthday. Tomorrow morning I'll be riding my Harley across those mountains to have a birthday gathering with my family (135 miles). My first big trip on the Harley... only got my motorcycle license last week! Why has it taken me so long? Riding is like a new freedom!

10 comments:

M.Benaut said...

Nice panorama, old son. Now get on that Harley and enjoy the celebrations.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!

Abraham Lincoln said...

I like your presentation today and the information was interesting to read. I came here from the link "m.benaut" posted on his blog this morning.

Have a safe trip on the Harley.

I am a tad older than you. I will be 73 in October.

oldmanlincoln

john simspon said...

All looks good to me....be safe on the Harley and Happy Birthday mate...catch up with you soon..its still hot and stormy in Texas..will it ever stop raining..

lyliane said...

HAPPY BIRHTDAY.. You have the same age as my small sister who lives in Germany. You are likely to live a large country where there is space to make motor bike. Good walk

Mme Benaut said...

Happy 60th Birthday Dennis! Have fun on the Harley. M.B will be oh so jealous.

Jules said...

Happy Birthday - see you can teach an old dog new tricks - believe me - I have just taken up scuba diving!!

Take care and enjoy!

Celine said...

I hope you had a great birthday, and it's great to see another Oregon daily photo blog! I really look forward to seeing more of Bend, since I've never been over that direction.

Lavenderlady said...

Happy Birthday! Glad you got a Harley (I own stock). I just returned from your fair city. Several of us stayed in a vacation house and contributed to the local economy. Beautiful place you live.

Mandy said...

take care on your Harley!

Zoey and the furballs (the Zoo Crew) said...

Happy birthday! We love Bend. I got to spend a lot of time there a few years ago working on a case. It's a lovely place.

By the way, Louis Jepsen is my uncle. I'm Frank's daughter (he sent me the link to your blog). I write a blog from our cats' perspective. Mom and Dad love it because they know what's going on in our lives.

We'll stop by to check things out every now and again.