Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Now that's a bank!


I love this building. But it is hard to do it justice in 1 photo. The sequence moves anticlockwise around the building.
Most of the new buildings in Bend have been built in a style very suitable for this environment, wood still being the preferred building material. This is a fairly typical example. If only they would orient the buildings to take more advantage of all the sun we get around here.
So even though the timber industry has declined, it is still healthy. Clear-cutting has been replaced by more sustainable logging methods. "Sustainability" ... a word not heard often enough in the US.
I have some more pictures of this shopping center to share later.



7 comments:

Abraham Lincoln said...

It is a beautiful structure that probably looks just as good indoors. I like your photos of the building as well as your description.

Abraham Lincoln
Brookville Daily Photo

drpack said...

Thanks Honest Abe!

I was disappointed that I couldn't find a way to avoid those overhead lines, though. Kind of hard to bury things here with all the volcanic rock.

Jules said...

Beautiful building - love all the glass. I could live in it!

Mme Benaut said...

Very beautiful indeed. Bend is a lovely place and I can see why you felt the need to return. We miss you though.

drpack said...

I miss Australia "heaps", as well. I figured if I was going to survive returning to the US I needed a place that had blue skies (like Oz) and some clear water (un-like OZ) for fishing and some beaut cycling tracks. I think I chose pretty well from that point of view.

Anonymous said...

Attractive building, but where are the Solar panels?
Tracy

drpack said...

I wish! As rare as hen's teeth, they are.
Why don't city planners require them? As well as a southern orientation?
Australia has the same problem!