Saturday, August 25, 2007

Gray Squirrel

High up in one of the pine trees in my yard makes a great place to survey your domain. This Western Gray Squirrel (Sciurus griseus) thought he was well hidden ... but I have a telephoto lens on my camera! There are several around the neighborhood and they are about the size of a small cat ... at least too big and aggressive for the cats to bother.

They are classified as a "sensitive species" in Oregon, probably because they require tall trees for nesting and those are becoming less numerous.

I had a nice picture of one sitting on top of a telephone pole but I think I lost it when my hard drive crashed. Hopefully, I'll get another chance.

2 comments:

M.Benaut said...

Howdy cobber,
Today I spent an hour trying to shoot a Koala in our yard. The little bugger simply would not look at the camera.
Animals are just little buggers - yet we love 'em ?

M.Benaut said...

From Mme:
She's gorgeous D; I think she's got her eye on you!