Thursday, May 8, 2008

More Signs of Spring

The deer have returned!

As soon as the snow melts and the grass sprouts, different grazing animals appear.
Sadly, over the past 3 years, the number of returning deer seems to be reduced by half each year.
When I first moved here in 2006, there was a herd of about 14 deer that frequented my front yard.
Last year there were 7 and this year I have only seen 3.
The sad cost of "progress", I guess.
Too bad some land can't be set aside for what people love about this place ...
do we need to fill every available space with houses?
How about a wildlife corridor?
Anybody heard of "nature deficit disorder"? Try "Googling" it.

One good sign I did see, however, was a herd of elk nearby.It was late in the evening so photographic opportunities were limited.
Motorcyclist have to be extremely careful in elk crossing areas.
"Elk are big" is a warning sign along one busy stretch of road ...
and they are!

5 comments:

Margie said...

All you need to do is plant a garden, and you will have more deer then you want!

drpack said...

And they'd be healthy, too! Eating all those veggies!

MmeBenaut said...

Have just closed my mouth. Deer in your front yard. That is amazing. I agree totally with your comment about having a wildlife corridor. What do you have to do to get onto the local council so you can block some of these developments?
At least you won't run out of water up there though, like we are. The Hume Dam is only 8% full. That's the headland for the Murray. Can you believe it?

As for the elk. Take it easy on that Harley won't you D?

Anonymous said...

Love your photos! I've been contemplating a move to Bend, from Boulder, CO. It seems a lot like Boulder was 15 or 20 years ago. Semi "discovered" but still not forbiddingly expensive like Boulder has become. The houses here make SoCal seem like rustbelt cost of living. Almost $700k median price! Anyway, I've enjoyed browsing your photos and comments. I'm inspired to start bloggin again. I did it for about 5 years and quit. We'll see... if we move out there I'll probably start again for sure.

Peace,
Chris(at)cemilliken(dot)com

MmeBenaut said...

It must be summer by now in Oregon, D. What does your yard look like now?